Cyprus, with its vibrant job market and attractive opportunities, has become a sought-after destination for professionals from around the world. Whether you are a local resident or a foreigner looking to work in Cyprus, understanding the intricacies of the job search process is crucial for success.
When it comes to job hunting in Cyprus, understanding what constitutes a good salary and identifying the best job opportunities are crucial factors that can significantly impact career decisions. In this comprehensive guide we answer common questions such as How to get a job in Cyprus? Is there work in Cyprus for foreigners? What is the most popular job in Cyprus? How do I find a job in Cyprus? What is a good salary in Cyprus? Which city in Cyprus is best for jobs? How to find a new career in Cyprus? What are the best job sectors in Cyprus?
Let’s begin with some brief but important statistics:
Statistics on the Cyprus Labour Market:
According to the results of the Labour Force Survey, the labour force in the 1st quarter of 2023 amounted to 492.230 persons or 65,6% of the population (according to the preliminary results, the population of Cyprus on the 1st of October 2021 was 918.100). The population recorded in Nicosia was 351.600 persons and constituted a percentage of 38% of the total population, Limassol 258.900 (28%), Larnaca 154.200 (17%), and Paphos 101.900 (11%).
So, how do you find a job in Cyprus? Let’s dive right in!
I. How to Get a Job in Cyprus:
To increase your chances of securing a job in Cyprus, it is essential to conduct thorough research about the local job market. Familiarise yourself with the sectors that are in demand and identify the skills and qualifications employers are seeking. Networking is also a vital aspect of job hunting in Cyprus. Attend industry events, join professional associations, and connect with professionals already working in your desired field. Additionally, leverage online platforms and recruitment agencies specifically tailored for the Cypriot job market.
II. Work Opportunities for Foreigners in Cyprus:
Cyprus offers a range of work opportunities for foreigners, particularly in sectors such as finance, tourism, information technology, and professional services. Before pursuing employment in Cyprus, it is crucial to understand the legal requirements and visa options available. The Cypriot government provides various work permits and visas to attract international talent. Partnering with relocation services can also help ease the transition process and provide guidance on legal and administrative matters.
III. The Most Popular Jobs in Cyprus:
The job market in Cyprus is diverse, with several sectors experiencing significant growth. The tourism industry, driven by the country’s stunning coastline and rich history, offers various employment opportunities, including hospitality and tour guiding. The finance sector, particularly in Limassol, is a hub for forex and CFD trading companies, creating demand for professionals in finance, risk management, compliance and sales and marketing. The information technology sector is also thriving, with a growing tech hub and the need for software developers, cybersecurity specialists, and data analysts.
IV. Finding and Applying for Jobs in Cyprus:
To find job opportunities in Cyprus, utilise online job boards, recruitment agencies, and industry-specific websites. Tailor your CV and cover letter to highlight relevant skills and experience and optimise your CV with key words for Applicant Tracking Systems. Networking remains an effective method of discovering hidden job opportunities, so attend industry events and connect with professionals in your desired field. When applying for jobs, ensure your application is tailored to each position, and prepare for interviews by researching the company and practicing common interview questions. A good recruitment agency such as Emerald Zebra, can assist you in CV preparation, interview coaching and finding a job in Cyprus.
V. Determining a Good Salary in Cyprus:
Salaries in Cyprus vary based on factors such as industry, experience, and qualifications. The average monthly salary in Cyprus ranges from €1,500 to €3,000 gross monthly, depending on the profession. Average Wages in Cyprus increased to 2546 EUR/Month (2778.991 USD/Month) in the 4th quarter of 2022. The maximum rate of average wage for employees was 2296 EUR/Month and minimum was 1360 EUR/Month. Please note that these are averages. Advanced degrees or specialised certifications often result in higher salaries compared to basic qualifications. Salaries can also vary depending on the geographic location within Cyprus. Salaries vary across different industries too. For example, sectors such as finance, information technology, and engineering generally offer higher remuneration compared to the averages listed above.
Research industry-specific salary benchmarks and consider factors such as cost of living and benefits when evaluating job offers. Negotiating salary is common practice in Cyprus, so be prepared to discuss your expectations during the hiring process. Emerald Zebra offers salary benchmarking services and can inform you of what you should expect to earn based on your experience, qualifications and demand in the market.
VI. Best Jobs in Cyprus:
While the definition of a “best” job may vary depending on individual preferences, certain positions in Cyprus offer attractive benefits and growth opportunities. Roles such as finance managers, software engineers, marketing managers, and hospitality professionals are in high demand. These positions often come with competitive salaries, career advancement prospects, and the chance to work with reputable organisations.
VII. Cities in Cyprus for Job Seekers:
Cyprus boasts several cities that offer unique job opportunities. Nicosia, the capital, is known for its finance, legal, and administrative sectors. Limassol, the second-largest city, is a hub for the maritime and financial industries. Larnaca, with its bustling tourism sector, provides employment opportunities in hospitality and travel. Paphos also offers diverse job prospects, particularly in tourism, real estate, tech and gaming.
Certain cities in Cyprus are known for their thriving job markets and diverse employment opportunities. Here are three cities that stand out for job seekers:
- Nicosia: As the capital city, Nicosia offers a wide range of job opportunities across sectors such as finance, technology, and professional services including fund management and trust administration services. It serves as a hub for international companies and government institutions.
2. Limassol: Known as a prominent business, fintech, digital finance, tech, shipping and financial hub. The city provides excellent career prospects, especially for professionals in the financial services industry.
3. Larnaca: Larnaca has a growing tourism sector. It offers employment opportunities in hospitality, tourism management, and aviation-related industries. The presence of multinational companies further expands the range of job openings across various sectors.
Growth Opportunities: Cyprus boasts several sectors with promising job prospects. More than 1,200 international companies have relocated to Cyprus during 2022 including multinationals that have based their operations there, placing Cyprus firmly on the map as a growing regional and international headquartering location. Among which, the Cyprus fintech sector has more than 250 fintechs operating in Cyprus across payments, crypto trading platforms, crypto exchanges, regtech and asset management. There are 27 block-chain start-ups too. In the finance sector, there are more than 40 Forex and CFD Trading Organisations operating in Cyprus, including major global players such as: Etoro, Exinity, Admiral Markets, Trading212, equiti, CFI Financial. Plus Prop trading firms, such as:FTMO and The Trading Pit. The most popular forex trading platforms have their Headquarters in Cyprus: MetaQuotes operating their MetaTrader 4 and MetaTrader 5 platforms, and cTrader. Across Cyprus’ innovative tech hub many multinationals have a large presence in Cyprus, among them: Amdocs, Wargaming, Bolt, Thomson Reuters, Nexters.
Here are some of the best job sectors and growth opportunities in the country:
1. Financial Services: Cyprus is renowned for its thriving European financial services sector connecting Europe to high-growth markets in the Middle East, Asia, and the wider region. Opportunities in banking, investment management, and accounting are abundant. The Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC) the financial regulator, supervises more than 760 entities employing around 20,000 people. The demand for professionals with expertise in finance and compliance remains high, presenting excellent career prospects.
2. Information Technology: There are more than 10,000 people employed in the IT sector in Cyprus, which has experienced significant growth in recent years. Job opportunities in software development, cybersecurity, data analysis, and digital marketing are on the rise. The emergence of technology companies and startups has led to an increased demand for skilled IT professionals.
3. Tourism and Hospitality: Cyprus’s tourism industry plays a vital role in its economy. Job opportunities in hospitality management, hotel operations, event planning, and tour guiding. The industry offers both seasonal and year-round employment options.
4. Shipping and Maritime: Cyprus’s strategic location has led to a robust shipping and maritime sector. Careers in shipping operations, maritime law, ship management, and logistics offer attractive prospects for individuals interested in this field.
Ready to make a career change or explore new job opportunities in Cyprus? Start exploring the job market today and find your dream job in this beautiful European location.
Donna Stephenson is the Founder and CEO of Emerald Zebra, a leading niche recruitment agency based in Limassol, Cyprus. With over 21 years of experience in the recruitment and human resources field, Donna has built a strong reputation as a successful businesswoman and industry leader. Her innovative approach and knowledge of the local market have helped Emerald Zebra become the go-to agency for specialised recruitment solutions in Cyprus across the fintech, tech, finops and gaming sectors.